About Me

My Photo
Laura
Follower of Christ. Wife to Adam. Mama to Joshua (9), Abigail (8), Esther (7), Hannah (6), Noah (5), Joseph (3), Peter (2), James (9 months), and Blessing #9 due late August. Soli Deo Gloria!
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.

Adam and Laura

Adam and Laura

Joshua Addison

Joshua Addison

Abigail Lauren

Abigail Lauren

Esther Rebecca

Esther Rebecca

Hannah Ralene

Hannah Ralene

Noah Evans

Noah Evans

Joseph Patrick

Joseph Patrick

Peter Edwin

Peter Edwin

James Emil Robert

James Emil Robert

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Curls




I recently watched a tutorial on Pinterest that taught me a new way to make the girls' hair curly.  Unfortunately, I did not pin it and I cannot find it anymore.  If I am able to locate it I will come back and update this post with a link.  It is so very simple and creates much nicer curls than the foam roller method or the pencil and rag method.

You need an elastic hair band like the one below that I bought at Wal-mart.  I paid around $2.50 for five or six of them.  They were a little too big for the girls' heads, so I just pinned them with a safety pin to make them smaller.




Put the band around the head kind of like a crown would go on.  It should be tight enough to stay in place, but obviously not tight enough to leave a big indentation on the head.  The hair should be clean and damp, but not wet.  I sprayed my girls' hair with a little bit of hairspray right before I did this to help hold the curl.

Grab a small section of hair, put it over the top of the band, and pull it through the other side.  Add another bit of hair, and repeat.  I did this four or five times and then started on the other side.  Both sides should meet in the middle at the back, and you just keep wrapping that hair around the band until there is none hanging down.  You may need a clip or something to keep the last loose edges in.

One plus to using this method is that it looks really cute when the hair is all wrapped up in the band!  Cute enough to wear out...unlike foam rollers. :)


Here is Esther after sleeping with her hair up.  It looked a bit rough, so I was surprised at how well it turned out.


I had my girls sleep on their hair this way and I just unraveled it in the morning, brushed it, and gave it a little more hair spray!  The curls last a really long time.  Abigail's hair is the hardest to curl, but hers stayed in the best overnight, and he hair is still pretty curly today...three days later!






I made this video today in case anyone was interested in trying it.  Esther was the model, Hannah was the videographer, and Peter was the fusser. :)  Seeing it done helped me a lot.  It's so easy and we love curls on the girls!


4 comments:

aurie good said...

Wow!! This is pretty cool - I wonder if Sophie would so this :) Thanks!

Emily, wife of Jeremy said...

I saw this somewhere on Pinterest too but the one I saw didn't have a video and I could not for the life of me figure out what they were telling me to do. Thanks for the video. The girls enjoyed watching Esther. : )

We plan on trying this as soon as we have one of the stretchy headbands. : )

Nikki said...

Those curls are so pretty! But I don't see a video; maybe it's the iPad?

The Munck Family said...

Yep, that is how Rebekah does her hair. It always turns out great, she saw a video on it from a hair blog...this lady has some amazing styles and tricks. Curls, aren't they fun?!