About Me

My Photo
Laura
Follower of Christ. Wife to Adam. Mama to Joshua (9), Abigail (8), Esther (7), Hannah (6), Noah (5), Joseph (3), Peter (2), James (9 months), and Blessing #9 due late August. Soli Deo Gloria!
View my complete profile
Powered by Blogger.

Adam and Laura

Adam and Laura

Joshua Addison

Joshua Addison

Abigail Lauren

Abigail Lauren

Esther Rebecca

Esther Rebecca

Hannah Ralene

Hannah Ralene

Noah Evans

Noah Evans

Joseph Patrick

Joseph Patrick

Peter Edwin

Peter Edwin

James Emil Robert

James Emil Robert

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Night-Night Prayer



The more children we have the more convinced I become of the importance of schedules, traditions, and rituals.  We have been on a pretty strict daytime schedule since the beginning of the school year.  While it is nice to diverge from it occasionally, we stick to it the vast majority of the time and our days run much more smoothly when we do.

Evening rituals are important as well, and I thought I would share one of ours.  Starting from the time when Adam gets home from work, we have an "order of business", so to speak.  It includes dinner, Bible reading, cleaning up, getting ready for bed, etc.  I think that the childrens' favorite times of the evening are Papa reading aloud to them (currently The Bronze Bow) and singing the "night-night prayer".  Adam started the tradition of the night-night prayer a long time ago.  I don't remember exactly when it was, but I think we only had two or three children at that point.  It is sung to a very simple tune (Tallis' Canon, which was written by Thomas Tallis in the 1500's)) and the words are perfect for going to bed.


All praise to thee, my God, this night,
For all the blessings of the light;
Keep me, O keep me, King of kings,
Beneath thine own almighty wings.

Forgive me, Lord, for thy dear Son,
The ills that I this day have done;
That with the world, myself, and thee,
I, ere I sleep, at peace may be.

O may my soul on thee repose,
And with sweet sleep mine eyelids close;
Sleep that may me more vig'rous make
To serve my God when I awake.

When in the night I sleepless lie,
My soul with heav'nly thoughts supply;
Let no ill dreams disturb my rest,
No pow'rs of darkness me molest.

O when shall I in endless day
For ever chase dark sleep away,
And hymns with the supernal choir
Incessant sing, and never tire!

Praise God from whom all blessings flow;
Praise him, all creatures here below;
Praise him above, ye heav'nly host:
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Thomas Ken, c. 1674


2 comments:

aurie good said...

This is one of my favorite hymns! We sing it weekly in our church and it's such a lovely soothing melody. I never thought about singing it for bedtime, but yes! What a perfect song!!

The Munck Family said...

Traditions are so important, few people make traditions a priority any more. We have an order of business in the morning and evening, it does indeed make things run so much smoother.

Hope your doing well.
Laura